- 1st District
- Media Center
- How Can I Help
Senate Committee to Hear Testimony on Farnese’s Anti-SLAPP Legislation
On April 23, 2014
PHILADELPHIA, April 23, 2014 – State Sens. Larry Farnese and Stewart Greenleaf will open a public hearing at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, April 24, at the Philadelphia Bar Association on the Philadelphia Democrat’s bill to disable Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation, more commonly known as SLAPPs.
Farnese’s Senate Bill 1095 wouldallow individuals and community groups who are wrongfully sued to more easily have that case dismissed or be able to recover attorney fees if they win a legal challenge.
A SLAPP stopped 40 years of service by the Old City Civic Association and sparked Sen. Farnese to draft his legislation.
Following opening statements by Farnese and the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, representatives from the following organizations are expected to testify:
- David Kairys, professor, Temple University’s Beasley School of Law
- Andy Hoover, legislative director, ACLU of Pennsylvania
- Paula Knudsen, director of legal affairs, Pennsylvania News Media Association
- Melissa Melewsky, media law counsel, Pennsylvania News Media Association
- Joe Schiavo, Old City Civic Association
- Steve Huntington, Crosstown Coalition
- Matt Ruben, Northern Liberties Neighborhood Association
- Joe Marino, Passyunk Square Civic Association
- Barbara Cappozi, Packer Park Civic Association
- Jenny Stevens
- Garen Maguerian, esquire
- Angelique Smith
- Haley Dervines
Media coverage is welcomed.
WHAT: Senate Judiciary Committee to hold public hearing on Sen. Farnese’s anti-SLAPP legislation, Senate Bill 1095
WHEN: 9:30 a.m., Thursday, April 24
WHERE: 11th floor conference center, Philadelphia Bar Association, 1101 Market St., Philadelphia
Tagged with: ACLU of Pennsylvania • Andy Hoover • Angelique Smith • Barbara Cappozi • Beasley School of Law • Crosstown Coalition • David Kairys • Garen Maguerian • Haley Dervines • Jenny Stevens • Joe Marino • Joe Schiavo • Matt Ruben • Melissa Melewsky • Northern Liberties Neighborhood Association • Old City Civic Association • Packer Park Civic Association • Passyunk Square Civic Association • Paula Knudsen • Pennsylvania News Media Association • Philadelphia Bar Association • Sen. Larry Farnese • Sen. Stewart Greenleaf • SLAPP • Steve Huntington • Temple University